Linly Heflin
Linly Heflin

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to apply?

  • Women who are U.S. citizens and residents of the state of Alabama.
  • Women who attend or plan to attend a four-year Alabama college or university that is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

When may I apply?

  • The application for the 2021-2022 academic year will be available online beginning October 1, 2020.
  • Applications close on January 10, 2021.

What criteria are used in the selection process?

  • Documented financial need
  • Academic proficiency

How much is the scholarship?

  • The scholarship is currently $9,000 per year.

When will I hear about whether I’ve received a scholarship?

  • Applicants will be informed if they are selected for interview by mid-February 2021.
  • Interviews will be held in early March 2021.
  • Scholarship recipients will be notified by the end of March 2021.

What are the specifications of the scholarship?

  • Linly Heflin scholarships are to be used for undergraduate studies by Alabama women attending Alabama four-year colleges or universities. They may not be used for post-graduate studies.
  • Funds for two semesters are sent directly to the schools in early August. Recipients may use the funds for only two (2) semesters per academic year, for a total of 8 semesters. Funds must be used within five years of award.

What are the requirements for maintaining a scholarship?

  • Scholars must be a full-time student, maintaining a course load of at least 12 hours per semester.
  • Scholars must maintain at least a cumulative 2.5 GPA. Failure to maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA results in probation for one semester. If after one semester the cumulative GPA is not 2.5 or greater, the scholarship will be terminated.
  • Scholars must send grades at the end of each semester, including current and cumulative GPA.
  • Scholars must notify Linly Heflin of any changes in contact information, including email address, cell phone number, or home address.
  • Scholars must notify Linly Heflin of any changes in contact information, including e-mail address,
    cell phone number and/or home address.
  • Scholars must immediately notify Linly Heflin of any change in college status, including transfer or withdrawal.

What may I use my funds for?

  • Tuition
  • Books
  • Fees
  • University-sponsored room and board

How do I apply?

Linly Heflin Unit • 13 Office Park Circle • Mountain Brook, AL 35223 • 205-871-8171 •